- Boards & Commissions
- Town Hall
- Financial Reports & Budgets
- Mayor & Board of Commissioners
- Board of Commissioners Minutes
- Contact Us
TEMPORARY CONVERSION TO CHLORINE
Beginning March 11th and continuing until April 15th, the Town of Pink Hill will temporarily change the disinfectant used in the water treatment process. The Town of Pink Hill will be using chlorine rather than chloramines during this five-week period.
Since March 2009, the Town of Pink Hill has used chloramines, a mixture of chlorine and ammonia, as the disinfectant in its water treatment process. "Chloramines are an effective disinfectant and also reduce the level of byproducts that are regulated by the US Environmental Protection Agency." "State drinking water guidelines recommend that water systems using chloramines periodically switch back to free chlorine (chlorine alone) for a minimum of four weeks. This brief, scheduled change in disinfectant is a standard water treatment practice to keep water mains clean and free of potentially harmful bacteria throughout the year."
During the temporary switch to free chlorine, customers may notice a slight change in the taste or smell of their tap water. The mild chlorine taste and smell is normal and poses no health risk. Most customers will not need to take any precautions as the water remains safe to drink and is treated according to both state and federal standards. People and businesses that normally take special precautions to remove chloramines from tap water, such as dialysis centers, medical facilities and aquatic pet owners, should continue to take the same precautions during the temporary switch from chloramines to free chlorine.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact the Town of Pink Hill at 252-568-3181.